I needed a break from painting my Trollbloods, I got tired of painting different shades of leather/brown, and needed to paint something different. So at the LGS last week I happen to see the new Khador warcaster, Kommander Strakhov, and immediately purchased it (together with P3 Khador Red Base and Khador Red Highlight) and immediately headed home to get it prepped and primed and ready to paint. At this time I still have a lot to do, the face, both gloves, both weapons, trying to decide how much gold to actually use (I really want to keep it to a minimum), and all the metallic parts. It's the metallic parts that stopped me in my proverbial tracks, because I have never painted true metallics well. Most of my experience painting has been with Confrontation miniatures, during the height of the NMM "movement/revolution". I have used metallics before on my Warhammer Fantasy High Elves, over 6 years ago, but that was just a simple basecoat of metallic paint, armor wash, and drybrush (please do not laugh when I admit that I do not know how to drybrush *sigh*); I have images of those High Elves on my Cool Mini Or Not page (I had to sell them, and they have all found their way to Switzerland of all places *LOL*). Anyway, click on the thumbnails below to see various angles of Strakhov. The metallic parts include: the gun, the sword, the fuel/jet pack in the back, buckles, and the trim on the plates in front. I painted the metallic areas with the base colors I would normally use if I were to do NMM. Suggestions on how to paint the metallic parts are most welcome! Thanks!!
A few things I've learned so far: I really like P3 red paints, I have an easier time painting on white primer (don't think I can get away with white on Warjacks), and I think I like painting Khador (*ugh* this after I traded for Searforge/Rhulic models *ugh*)

4 comments:
You can get decent looking metals using the metallic paint and some washes. Almost all of my metals are done with a base of the appropriate color and a one or two washes. Silvers get a black wash, brnonze / golds get a brown or dark reddish wash.
If you want to add a little more depth you can add some highlights with the original color after the wash has darkened everything but I usually don't bother.
Simon
Very nice! My Strahkov is on its way.. but that looks very cool. Im very excited.
How many parts does he come in?
@Simon: Thanks for the tip, I think I will go that route plus using highlights from the metallic base to give it a little bit more depth. I worked so diligently on the reds and greys on the cloth, I feel obligated to work just as hard on the metallics (that's why it's taking so long to complete hehe).
@Binz: It comes it two parts (I love simple minis with little to no assembly required), the main body with the gun hand and then the sword hand. I decided to pin the hand, not sure if it's necessary but I wanted to make the left side easier to paint (without the hand in the way). So far having a lot of fun painting STrakhov (feels less of a chore compared to NEEDING to paint my trolls LOL)
Post a Comment